Sunday, January 24, 2021

MOMA Film Festival 6 & 7: Tesla and Monsoon





Tesla is one of the two Sundance films which I saw that was totally unremarkable. I wouldn't call it a waste of my time but the film would be truly unwatchable if it wasn't for Ethan Hawke.  Why would they cast Kyle MachLachlan as Thomas Edison and Jim Gaffigan as Westinghouse?  This biopic is one of those forgettable features after a year.


Monsoon is the 2nd Sundance film I watched following the disastrous Tesla.  It's slightly better than the previous film.  Again Henry Golding is the actor that makes the film watchable.  The whole Vietnamese immigrant backstory is not very interesting and has no depth at all.  Why is it so hard to make a good movie about immigrants?  Minari,, by comparison, fares much better in expressing the aspect of displacement and is much more emotional.












 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Turtle Warrior

I am now officially a TURTLE WARRIOR.  I will keep fighting until I get better from GBS.  My fingers tingle and my palms are always sweaty. ...