Monday, November 23, 2020

Jan Morris and Travel Writing

 Jan Morris passed away at the age of 94.  She was an inspiration for me and I have to admit I got hooked about travel writing from reading her essays.

I wish I've gone to see her at NYPL in 2006  That was the year she turned 80. 


AROUND THE WORLD IN 50 YEARS


To celebrate the 80th birthday of Jan Morris, Paul Holdengräber will conversationally ramble with the writer through some of the matters that have preoccupied her during a long life. For example: patriotism, dislike of concerts, Norwegian Forest Cats, the practice of travel, marmalade vs grape jelly, Venice vs Trieste, connoisseurship (ugh!), intellectualism (yuk!), 57 years of a curious friendship, 53 years of visiting NY, the British Empire, the superiority of small countries (notably Wales), journalism at Mount Everest, death, glories and agonies of family life, the power of kindness. And anything else that comes into their minds.


Oh, well.  That must have been one good talk....






No comments:

Post a Comment

Turtle Warrior

I am now officially a TURTLE WARRIOR.  I will keep fighting until I get better from GBS.  My fingers tingle and my palms are always sweaty. ...